hmmmm...i know grandpa had some yucky cough syrup back in the day, but it worked.
Me and my sons just spent some time this evening at Clear creek park teaching a set of grandparents and their grandson how to skip rocks and get honeysuckle drops from the flower (gooooood stuff!). These folks are from Caney ridge (been there all their lives). I was floored when I learned that elp6n (from Bold Camp-spent her life in woods taking nature photos with her dad) had no idea about drinking suckle juice. Guys: Do me a favor. Be honest with your replies and tell me if you know this (you must be from SWVA to answer).
Baby have colic? Break off a tiny bit of catnip, boil in water, and little junior will be smiling and sleeping in moments. Now you must be careful-catnip is a hallucenogen, so it must be a tiny piece of leaf.
Got allergy problems? A teaspoon of pure honey at bedtime will help immensley.
Migraine? Headache? Find a willow tree, open the leaf and chew (most know this)
Stomach bothering you? Yellowroot is the cure
If you have never tasted honeysuckle, you are missing a treat. Now if it's April, you won't get much, but right now just pull gently at the green stem base, tug the string so to speak, and catch the drop. I honestly thought EVERY mountainfolk knew this.
It amazes me that folks from here do not pay attention to where they live. I grew up ridge-running, and I guess I just took this all for granted. You just can't beat Granny Clampett meds lol. Most of these were taught to us by the Cherokee (you know-those ignorant savages?) Heavy sarcasm intended there obviously.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
hmmmm...i know grandpa had some yucky cough syrup back in the day, but it worked.
[img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]
I didn't even add shine syrup. I am POSITIVE everybody knows that one.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
Anyone else have stuff to add?
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future
Drinking horse p-iss to keep your hair from falling out.
[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]
I thought the honeysuckles were just a given that everybody did that around here.
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]
Even though I've eaten them quite a bit, I discovered that honeysuckle drops are somewhat poison. Bet ya didn't know that. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
To stop an Ear Ache [censored] in that persons ear.
"Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood."
I guess I am the same that I just took for granted most around here knew all these things. But I guess getting out and doing things in the woods and learning these things aren't as fun as icq and play station. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
[COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]
Bookmarks